Sunday, March 15, 2020

To Catch an Earl by Kate Bateman book review

Given how I feel about reading books in order, I didn’t realize, at first, that this was the second installment of The Bow Street Bachelors. Also, I received this book in the mail on...wait for it...paper!!! It’s been a while since I have read a romance on something other than my ereader. So, it was kind of fun. I’d have to go back through my blog, but I think this is the first Kate Bateman book that I have read and I am hooked. The writing flowed, the dialogue was witty, the characters are charismatic and yum, yum, yummy to our male protagonist, Alex Harland. If you have a thing for seemingly rigid, alpha, law enforcement types → you will be a happy reader. I also really like how the title To Catch an Earl plays on the idea of catching a thief.

The prologue hooks you in with a masquerade ball and a steamy kiss *swoon* and then we find out that Emmy Danvers is the perfect thief. She is smart, nimble, calm under pressure and can find her way through anything to get what she needs. Emmy did not want a life of crime and was trying to get out, when she started to get blackmailed. She has her close friends and does get a thrill from the chase, but she does not want Harland on her trail because he is an equally skilled investigator. Emmy knows she would have to pay with her life if she got caught.

I think this book is equal parts mystery and romance. While the reader knows more than the characters, it is rather intriguing to read about the war, espionage and missing French jewels. It gets pretty exciting when Alex begins to suspect Emmy’s role in the heists, but he also has to fight his attraction to her. She is his perfect match with her wit, intelligence and in her enjoyment of the thrill of the chase. Emmy Danvers is not your typical woman waiting around for a husband. In fact, she believes that she will not be able to give her heart to anyone because she can never tell the truth about herself to a suitor. When Emmy agrees to sleep with Harland, she has no illusions of marriage and a happily ever after. But we all want our happily after for them so you will not be disappointed by their flirty interactions, sizzling kisses, and sexy bedroom escapades. I loved reading this non-traditional, action-packed historical romance. I have to pick up the first book now because this one was so good. I also love the cover. The models on the cover look like I would imagine the characters to look. I think the shades of red and purple are very decadent and sexy. This book comes out June 2020. Be on the lookout. You will love it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment