Monday, April 12, 2021

Then There Was You by Mona Shroff book review


I think you will fall in love with these characters. The featured couple is Annika and Daniel. Annika is a kindergarten teacher and moonlights at a bar. Daniel is an ER nurse practitioner and flight medic. Both work a lot to compensate for other issues going on in their lives. It’s clear that Annika and Daniel have some serious chemistry going on and you can’t help but root for them to get together. Annika’s family is trying to match her with Sajan, who is a doctor. Daniel is still coping with a divorce. There is a lot going on, but it’s all very realistic and maybe not so far removed from what the average person deals with. 

I thought this book was going to be a light hearted romance romp, but it turned out to explore issues of racism, miscarriage, school shootings, grief and there was some violence. It was most definitely a tear jerker, several times over. I wasn’t expecting that, but I couldn’t put the book down. It was engaging and I really wanted these two to get to that happy ending. I love the connections that grew from the secondary characters. They were quite well developed. The dialogue flowed smoothly and the setting was well described. I recommend this book for when you are in that emotional mood and don’t mind shedding a few tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment