Saturday, August 13, 2022

Wicked Beauty by Katee Robert book review

Long story to get to this book review… It all started with a trip to Greece this Spring Break with some young people. While my knowledge of Greek mythology sort of existed…I can’t say I was an expert. We visited all these super cool ancient sites: Temple of Posiden, Delphi, Temple of Athena Nike, Acropolis, Parthenon, Corinth, Knossos, Mycenae, Olympia and Sanctuary of Asclepius in Epidaurus (these were my favorites) - I realized that the kids knew a lot more than I did about Greek Mythology. They had all read the Rick Riordan Percy Jackson series for all of their in depth knowledge about the ancient Greeks. So, when I got back from Greece, I binged all the Percy Jackson books. They were soooooooo good. I literally could not stop. They are definitely middle grade YA fiction books, and a little outside of my normal pleasure reading. When I finished those, I wanted to keep going with the Greek Mythology but I wanted more “spice.” 

Whoooooboy! Does this series deliver. I had seen Neon Gods on the display at Target and I just knew from all of my blogs and lists that it was a popular romance. I downloaded Wicked Beauty from NetGalley and THEN realized it was the 3rd book in the series. Obviously, I had to read the first 2 books before I read Wicked Beauty. (I really have to read series books in order. I feel like I miss a lot if I don’t.) It took me 3 days to read the 3 Dark Olympus books and I LOVED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!!! SO GOOD! I’m guessing if you are thinking about reading Wicked Beauty, you have read the first two. If not, go read Neon Gods and Electric Idol. Trust me. This third book has the previous couples appearing and this one focuses on Helen of Troy, Achilles, and Patroclus. Some F/M/M action. 

This is a modern retelling that takes place on the East Coast as that is where the cradle of modern civilization is now. Zeus decided that Helen is his to give away in marriage. They are definitely trying to make political alliances. The gossip is toxic and everything is for show. The powerful 13 are based on Greek Gods and there are lots of shifting alliances and dirty moves. It’s like NYC, LA and DC all rolled into one ball of toxic pseudo-reality. Helen has her own ideas for her future and enters the competition to fight for her own hand in marriage. That way, she can control some aspect of her life. If you are looking for that twist of Greek mythology in your romance stories, this is the book for you. It is definitely explicit and written for adults. Super hot! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment