Thursday, March 21, 2024

Any Duke in a Storm by Amalie Howard

This book was full of twists for me. First, I did not know it was part of the series and I have not read the other ones. It definitely reads as a stand alone. I’m also not usually a fan of the high seas and pirates, but the cover sucked me in. I do love all things Victorian (which is why the cover spoke to me) and I like how that all came together in the book in terms of being away from England. I thought Lady Lisbeth was totally kick ass. I mean, there are not a lot of stories with the female main character getting into sword fights. Raphael Saint is a great name for a sexy captain. He is also a French Duke. There is some forced proximity going on in this book. The sexual tension is off the charts and Raphael falls first. He has to work on the wooing. Their conversations are funny and witty. Trust becomes a part of the equation (which makes it super swoony). Some of the secondary characters really stand out. One of them being Narina, who is an orphan, growing up around sailors/smugglers. Her vocabulary is laugh out loud. It would not be great in real life, but it’s fun in a fiction story. There are elements of biracial characters and a few light sexual kinks brought up in this story. I appreciate that it is not preachy, but nicely woven into the story. I think the author did a lot of research about the setting and how smuggling worked during that time so it gives the reader a more authentic feel for what the Caribbean might have been like during that time period. The end is exciting and twisty. I really liked the book and highly recommend it. Especially if you are looking for a historical romance that is slightly different. This would make for a perfect Spring Break read!


No comments:

Post a Comment