Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Finding Mr. Write by Kelley Armstrong book review


As a fan of Kelley Armstrong’s YA books, I was looking forward to this one. I really enjoyed the author’s note in explaining that it was her first rom com and how it was inspired. It made me like the book even more. The main female character is Daphne McFadden. She is an architect who just built her off-grid dream home in the Yukon. She is dealing with multiple losses. She was inspired to write the book, but an agent would not pick it up. Daphne decides to submit the book with a male pen name and all of a sudden she is on the bestseller list! Daphne and her lawyer friend, Nia, concoct a plan to invent a man to fit her pen name. Enter Chris Stanton, a hot accountant, smart, sexy and a bit nerdy. He takes on the Chris Ainsworth persona as his stage/actor personality to play Zane Remington, the male author Daphne invented. These twists and turns add some humor to the story. As Daphne’s book keeps climbing the bestseller list, she now finds that “Zane” has book festivals, interviews, speeches, signings and a book tour. All this turns into a forced proximity, slow burn romance as Chris and Daphne travel together. Things definitely get complicated. There are secrets, coverups and even a bit of blackmail. Things get pretty spicy as they admit their feelings for each other and figure out what the future holds for them. 

I’ll admit that as I was reading this, I wondered how much of the publishing industry insight was true. How many women use male pen names to get published? I think the author had some fun with what might happen if that pen name situation spiraled out of control. I think both characters were well developed and the chemistry grew as they got to know each other. But the spark was there with physical attraction from the beginning. I like that the chapters alternated between Daphne and Chris narrating. The setting is fun, the hookups are steamy and the HEA makes me happy. All the things I want in a contemporary romance. This book comes out June 25, 2024. It’s a great addition to your TBR pile and a great weekend escape. Oh, and I LOVE the punny title! 

 Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment