Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Rookie Instincts by Carol Ericson book review


I have been enjoying all of the Tactical Crime Division series books. I started reading them because I like author Elizabeth Heiter’s romantic suspense books (and she’s a Michigan author) and I was super excited to start this one because it takes place in Traverse City, Michigan. I’m really liking the Michigan connection here… 

Author Carol Ericson is new to me, so I looked her up, and see that she has written a whole slew of books! I’m happy I found a new author whose books I enjoy. I discovered this particular title on a Harlequin related Facebook page - because of the talk of the setting being Traverse City. I sure hope this book is in every book display in Traverse City, Port Huron and Detroit. A large part of the story takes place in Port Huron. Our two main characters have connections to Detroit. 

The character focus in this book is on Aria Caletti. She is a former Detroit police officer and her first day of being with the FBI Tactical Crime Unit Traverse City team, has her looking into the deaths of two women with the same ID. There is a difficult scene with a baby being found next to one of the murdered women, fortunately, the baby was safe. As they start to investigate with the Port Huron PD, they come across Grayson Rhodes who filed a missing persons’ report. Grayson just happens to be a civilian working undercover at the docks trying to discover what happened to his sister. He’s a huge lead. He’s also wealthy and hot ;) 

Aria and Grayson start to work together to figure out what happened to his sister. A lot of the reality about the opioid epidemic is woven into this story. As they get to know each other better, sparks fly. Aria tries to keep her professional distance, but as we all know, love gets in the way of professional detachment. The secondary characters in this book are also a lot of fun. We meet the team leader, Alana and the rest of the agents: Alex, Max, Ophelia, and Selena. I’m looking forward to reading more about their stories! This book was just released October 27, 2020 so it’s not too late to get in on the first book of what promises to be an exciting and suspense filled series.



No comments:

Post a Comment