Wednesday, November 18, 2020

My Last Duchess by Eloisa James book review


I have SO been enjoying the Wildes of Lindow Castle series and I was really excited for the prequel with Hugo and Ophelia’s story. So romantic. I want to be wooed by Hugo. I mean, how can you not love his wit, humor, intelligence and determination to win Ophelia over??? It kind of made me laugh because for the time period it seems that it would be taboo to be looking for a third wife. I mean, maybe it didn’t matter if you were a duke? He also has eight existing children!!! His sister advised him not to start off any courting by mentioning the number of children he has. 

This is definitely a love at first sight book. It is not without conflict as Ophelia has enough money, a nice house, a staff and a daughter she loves. Most importantly, as a widow, she has quite a bit of freedom and independence. She really was not on the marriage mart. She tried hard to resist Hugo’s charms. Also, eight children!!! It makes me tired just thinking about it. I like that they are not perfect characters and are accepted by the people they surround themselves with. 

I may be a bit biased as I write this because I love everything that Eloisa James writes. Any fan of historical romance will love this book. I stayed up late reading it. I think we all need some joy in our lives right now and a place to escape to. So why not Victorian England? Enjoy the London Frost Festival right alongside the characters. I feel like I pick up a lot of well researched historical tidbits in these books. I loved this story. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment