Wednesday, April 18, 2018

One and Only by Jenny Holiday book review

One and Only is a satisfying iteration of the contemporary bridezilla subgenre." -The New York Times Book Review 

Ok, that tagline made me crack up. I didn’t know there was a contemporary bridezilla subgenre??? 

This is the beginning of a series titled Bridesmaids Behaving Badly. This is definitely a wedding story. Elise is the bride and she is into a DIY wedding. Jane, the main character, has always been responsible and not very flashy. She loves her friend, but is getting desperate to get out of the DIY projects for the wedding. She ends up being tasked to babysit Cameron, the brother of the groom. Cameron is a returning soldier who is suffering a bit from PTSD. They are afraid he will do something wild and reckless that will impact the wedding. Jane has to keep him entertained.

They go from spending the day together, to visiting local tourist attractions, to more. The steamy sex scenes are a plus! The writing is funny, the dialogue flows, the setting is believable and the characters are likable. Even Elise, who many readers will sympathize with the fact that she is stressed from her wedding planning. The story is complex because of all the character development. You really begin to understand why the characters do the things they do.

The author was new to me, so I am glad that I chose to read this book. It was engrossing and I didn’t put it down until I finished. Which really meant that I stayed up way too late to finish this book. I’m looking forward to the next book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment